Our Annual Report gives an overview of the Office of Economic Development & Tourism’s three main goals, work over the past year, as well as economic trends and data in the City of Lynchburg.
Goals of the Office of Economic Development & Tourism:
- Support and grow LYH businesses and destination assets
- Position LYH as the best small city in America
- Drive long-term economic growth and resilience
Standout Economic & Tourism Data in the City of Lynchburg
- The median age in LYH is 28.5 years old.
- In 2020, there were 23,161 graduates from LYH colleges and universities.
- More than 6,000 work in the City’s manufacturing sector – 22% more than the national average.
- Last year, we experienced a 3.8% growth in average wage per worker. Nursing is the #1 in-demand skill.
- Domestic tourism to the City of Lynchburg has recovered 120% from July 2019.
- Spending in local businesses (lodging, shopping, dining) has risen above pre-pandemic levels.
- The Office of Economic Development & Tourism permitted 40 special events in FY 22, generating $1.5 million in business sales.
- We secured 60 groups/events in FY2 22 across our target tourism sectors – meetings and conferences, leisure travel, and sports tourism – with an estimated economic impact of $10.94 million.
- Our communications team increased blog traffic to lynchburgvirginia.org by 90%.
Read our Annual Report