The City of Lynchburg has made significant investments in its downtown urban core by improving amenities, attracting anchor developments such as The Virginian Hotel, and adapting and reusing former industrial space for new uses. While many cities across the country have lured software and tech businesses downtown, Lynchburg’s Advertising, Marketing, and Design Services and Architecture and Engineering Services cluster serves as a foundation for a unique, urban, creative workforce. Already, companies like 434 Marketing, Wiley Wilson and CJMW Architecture are helping make the City of Lynchburg a dynamic place to live and work. We anticipate that the sector’s entrepreneurs and workers will continue to be drawn to Lynchburg’s cultural amenities, walkable downtown core and opportunities to connect—all of which position the City as an exciting hub for creative professionals.
Defining the Cluster
Our analysis used the following NAIC codes to define the cluster:
- Architectural Services (541310)
- Engineering Services (541330)
- Landscape Architectural Services (541320)
- Direct Mail Advertising (541860)
- Other Services Related to Advertising (541890)
- Media Representatives (541840)
- Graphic Design Services (541420)
- Public Relations Agencies (541820)
- Marketing Consulting Services (541613)
- Other Specialized Design Services (541430)
- Interior Design Services (541410)
Competitive Advantage and Key Takeaways
Our analysis of Lynchburg’s Advertising, Marketing, and Design Services and Architecture and Engineering Services cluster yielded the following key takeaways:
- Serves as the foundational target cluster for attracting businesses to downtown Lynchburg, leveraging investments made in the urban core.
- An estimated 25 Architecture and Engineering firms operate in Lynchburg—a share equivalent to the national average.
- More than 1,700 workers employed at Lynchburg Architecture and Engineering companies—a share nearly four times the U.S. average.
- Specialization for Engineering Services is four times the U.S. average, while Architecture Services is 25 percent greater. Lynchburg does not have a competitive advantage in Landscape Architectural Services.
- Approximately 233 Advertising, Marketing, and Design firms, with an LQ of 1.42 (42 percent greater than the U.S. average).
- Nearly 260 workers (around 3.5 times the national average) in Advertising, Marketing and Design.
- Competitive advantages in Advertising, Marketing, and Design include: Direct Mail Advertising (LQ 4.20), Other Services Related to Advertising (2.21), Media Representatives (2.10), and Graphic Design Services (1.63).