Amtrak Kemper Street Station Mural
The City of Lynchburg’s Office of Economic Development & Tourism is currently working on beautification and promotional efforts to install a mural at the Kemper Street Amtrak Station (825 Kemper St.). The mural will transform an existing retaining wall to showcase public art and welcome visitors coming into Lynchburg via the Amtrak station. This project is funded in partnership with Virginia Tourism Corporation and serves to increase beautification, public art, and marketing efforts for the City of Lynchburg.
- Artwork enhances the environment and has aesthetic quality – eye-catching and welcoming design
- Content is appropriate for all ages and respectful to all communities.
- Content is not political, commercial, or religious.
- Content should send a welcoming message to the viewer and relate to LYH Loves You Brand Guidelines through messaging, themes, color pallet, fonts, etc.
- April 30 – Submissions due
- May 20 – The art Selection Committee reviews and selects artwork
- June 1 – Artists notified/contracts sent
- Early Summer 2023– mural installation/painting
- Late Summer – Installation complete, public announcement and mural unveiling
- The total budget for this project is $25,000 – the submission must not exceed this budget.
- The budget should include the artist fee and all supplies – Insurance, ladders, rental equipment such as scaffolding or lifts, high–quality paint, buckets, rags, chalk, brushes, drop cloths, etc.
- The paintable surface of the wall is approximately 62 feet long by 18 feet high, however, due to parking spaces at the wall, the design should start at about that height (see image).
- Design should include concept design and potential additional mock-ups depending on design revisions or suggestions.
- Artwork will remain the property of the artist, however, each program participant must sign and return an MOU artist contract.
Tips for Artists
- Think big! Design concepts that translate well onto a larger scale – we want this to be the first thing visitors see when getting on/off at the Amtrak Station.
- Encourage the highest standards of workmanship, showing significant time investment and thought in design, color, contrast, and content.
- Submit a digital mock-up scaled to fit the wall.
Submissions will be online only. All artists must fill out the Online Form and upload the JPEG or PDF design file by April 30th by 5:00 P.M.
Each submission should include:
- Completed Online Application.
- One JPEG or PDF file of each piece of art is to be considered. If you have multiple designs, please fill out an application for each design.
- Completed W9 Form
- Certificate of Insurance that lists the City of Lynchburg as additionally insured. This will be required upon starting the mural.
Submission Due Date
All submissions are due by April 30, 2023, 5:00 P.M.
For questions or more information, please contact Emelyn.Gwynn@Lynchburgva.gov