As the local business community continues to work through the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Lynchburg is working to streamline the business development process and make it as convenient to work through as possible. In an effort to offer better access to individuals and business owners, we’ve modified some economic development procedures to allow businesses to continue operating as effectively as possible.
Completing Forms and Applications Online
Just as many business’s services are becoming virtual to accommodate social distancing regulations, the City of Lynchburg is doing what it can to make completing necessary permits and applications as easy as possible by moving several processes to a digital format. Specifically:
- The business license application process has now been moved to an entirely online format. If you are working to start a business, simply follow the steps listed on the City website, which include registering the name of your business, obtaining a Letter of Approval from the Community Development Department and obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy from the Inspections Department (if you are operating out of an office and not out of your personal residence).
- The construction permit process can now be done online as well. Several web applications and e-documents are available to streamline the approval process for new construction or renovation of current business facilities. The online submission page for the City of Lynchburg is ready and available to help you get started and guide you through the process.
- Regulations for outdoor dining arrangements and expansion projects are being adjusted to allow local restaurants to reopen their seating and dining room options in compliance with Governor Northam’s Forward Virginia Phase 1 plan. If you need to know what options are available for expanding or moving outdoor seating on your restaurant property, you can email the Office of Community Development or call 434-455-3900.
- An online application is also available if you want to apply for a permit for seating in a sidewalk or other public area. (Note: you’ll be required to register for an account to complete this application if you don’t already have one.)
- If your business wants to utilize the Downtown Bluffwalk area or a public park for seating or a special event, email Sharon Brown (email@example.com) of Lynchburg Parks and Recreation or call 434-455-5858.
Let Us Know How We Can Help
Our goal in the midst of this challenging time is to help businesses in the City of Lynchburg find the solutions they need to succeed. The Lynchburg economy is a resilient one, and that in itself is a testament to the dedication and hard work that local businesses put in every day to serve their customers and clients. If we can assist you in any other way with adapting to COVID-19 and Phase 1 regulations, please let us know. In the meantime, we will continue to do what we can to make your job easier and provide you with the support you need to keep our economy running smoothly.