On behalf of the Lynchburg Economic Development Authority (LEDA) and Office of Economic Development, we are proud to share the Fiscal Year 2016 Opportunity Lynchburg Annual Report with you. At the City of Lynchburg, we take a multi-faceted approach to economic development, believing that the best results come from investing in people and place.
This past year has marked a handful of tremendous milestones for our City.
- This year, the Economic Development Authority welcomed Pacific Life to the City of Lynchburg who will invest nearly $4 Million dollars and create 300 jobs in our community.
- Additionally, LEDA was awarded $400,000 from the EPA to assess and plan for the redevelopment of Lynchburg’s brownfield sites, areas in need of environmental remediation to be developed.
- Last fall, the EDA received a $60,000 Community Business Launch grant from the Commonwealth of Virginia to launch CO.STARTERS, a nine-week accelerator program. 21 businesses have graduated to date, and another full class begins next week.
- Economic development staff successfully secured re-designation of one of the City’s enterprise zones, a state program that brings opportunities for property investment and job creation in Lynchburg.
- Finally, the City of Lynchburg was designated Virginia’s first TechHire community. This TechHire designation provides our City with the platform to build a program that prepares our citizens for the workforce in months instead of years. Lynchburg stands alongside cities like San Francisco, Austin and Denver who are implementing progressive workforce development programs to equip local employers with the talent they need for their business to thrive.
This year, the annual report is presented as a video. Please click below and share with your colleagues and customers.
Our team is proud to work beside you, our business community and partners to showcase the Lynchburg business community to the world. Our award winning website, Opportunity Lynchburg dot com, is the best place for more information about all of our initiatives, programs and accomplishments. Follow us by subscribing to our blog, adding your name to the newsletter or sharing with your networks.
Thank you again for your commitment to the City of Opportunity.
Marjette G. Upshur
Director, Lynchburg Office of Economic Development